Selection of color is one of the most vital but yet often neglected tasks to be taken care of during web designing. Today, an average internet user possesses the attention span of a sparrow and as such, the first thing which engages his mind when he opens a website is its color. Colors have a magical ability to personify objects. It can breathe life into lifeless matters like words written against a dead background. Thus, if aesthetically pleasing it may tempt the customer to check out the contents. If not, he has many other websites to look out for! Realization of this fact has led to a major change in web designing corporate culture in recent years, especially the web design companies in Dubai, which are spending millions of dollars in conducting surveys to find out the taste of the customers.
Which colors should be used in websites?
In order to answer this question let’s first answer an even basic question. What is the different classification of colors?
Colors are primarily classified into 3 groups: Primary colors, secondary colors and tertiary colors.
- Primary colors are those who can’t be created by the combination of other colors. For example Red, blue and yellow.
- Secondary ones are those which are created by mixing primary ones and,
- Tertiary ones are those which are created by mixing secondary ones.
Also, it can be classified as warm colors and cool colors.
- Warm colors are usually those associated with autumn and winter (ironically). For example yellow, brown, reddish orange etc.
- Cool colors are those associated with summer and spring (again, ironically). For example Green, magenta, pink etc.
This brings us to the answer of the initial question. While designing a website, one must keep in mind that combination of warm and cool colors shouldn’t be used. It may create confusion and even give a headache to the viewer in addition to the seeming congestion of the web page.
Depending upon the nature of the content present in the website and the feelings it is supposed to evoke, colors should be accordingly selected because there are various psychological effects of colors which have been scientifically proved.
- White is the color of peace. It also symbolizes cleanliness, veracity and purity. Because of its lightness, it is an effective background color.
- Green has a soothing effect due to which it is used in hospitals. It also symbolizes nature. So it can be used in travel & tourism websites.
- Red is the color of action. It can be used either to arouse passion or issue a warning. It can be used in websites which need viewers to actuate an action.
- Blue is the color of trust and also pacifies our brain. It can be used almost everywhere due to its versatility.
- Pink symbolizes cuteness and innocence. It should be preferred if the targeted viewers fall in the range of young and teenage females.
Last but not the least, the biggest blunder which one can commit is using a rainbow in their websites. It must be avoided at all costs. It can fend off viewers as soon as they reach there. Keep the color combination to a minimum and it will give the required aesthetic appeal to the website.